Thursday, May 28, 2009

Baby Birds!

We were hanging out one evening last week and I happen to look up and I see something falling from the tree.  Then a bird flew off!  I ran over and it was a baby bird.  I was like w-h-a-t!  I yelled for Darin and we went over to check it out.  We had to get it off the ground because all of the dogs were out!  Keira really liked it.

She was telling it to get up and trying to feed it grass!



Unfortunately, Marley got him out of the box and carried him off and he didn't make it.  She didn't bite it or anything --- I think when she dropped it--- was what did it.  It was so sad.  I was tearing up.....Keira was crying.  After dinner we went back outside and there was another one!!!
We got it off the ground and put it in a box.  Darin took care of it all weekend while I was out of town and the Mama was coming down to the box and feeding it etc.  Tuesday evening it flew off!!  So that was cool!!

Posted by Picasa

Darin was very sad!  He got attached to the little birdy!  It was a tufted titmouse!  I'm glad we could save it!!  

2 comments:

Neurotic Atty said...

Soooo cute! And I love the video! Remember the baby birds at my house? Well, I figure they have to have flown off by now, but the mama robin is still hanging out in the nest. Do you think she laid more eggs?

Jenny said...

Yes I do remember your post about them!! Mama very well could have! Here is some info I found on the web:

American Robins can produce three successful broods in one year. On average, though, only 40 percent of nests successfully produce young.

Only 25 percent of those fledged young survive to November. From that point on, about half of the birds alive in any year will make it to the next.

Despite the fact that they can live to be 14 years old, the entire population turns over on average every six years. The female lays 3-7 light blue eggs that are incubated for 12-14 days and the young leave the nest in about 14-16 days.

2 - 3 broods raised each season.

AND I bet the same Mama will come back to that spot every year. We have house wrens that are like clockwork in our ferns every year - this year they took to the birdhouse!! BUT I just saw a bird going in and out of the ferns we just got a few weeks ago - so maybe more to come!! Gotta love nature!!

Have a GREAT weekend!