Sunday, August 9, 2009

Pignuts and Dogs!

Posted by Picasa

What is a pignut? That is exactly what my friend Lee asked when I posted this on facebook! ha! I asked Granny and she said that they were really bitter and since we couldn't eat them the farmers fed them to their pigs. I decided to google it of course - because that's what I do. haha! I found a bit more info:

The fruit is a peach-shaped nut that is 1 ¼" long. It is thick walled, unridged, and encased in a thin husk that only splits half way open. On the inside of fallen nuts, when split open, resemble the snout of a pig.
The pignut hickory nuts are important in the diets of squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, black bears, foxes, rabbits, birds, smaller rodents, and whitetail deer.

Interesting. She did have something about a pig in there!!! hehe!!

She ran around, got Lucky kisses and took a stroll in the wagon...

Posted by Picasa

The dogs of the hood. The boxer is Lucky and yellow lab is Phoebe. And of course our loves Marley and Kona.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: